Categories
World News

AIG approves dismissal, prosecution of cop involved in shooting incident in Enugu

The Assistant Inspector-General (AIG) of Police in charge of Zone 13, Mr Muri Musa, on Friday approved the recommended punishment of dismissal for Inspector Edem Ebong.

It would be recalled that Ebong allegedly shot and killed five persons and injured four others for no justifiable reasons at Golf Estate, Enugu metropolis, on June 20, 2021.

This is contained in a statement made available to newsmen by the Enugu State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Daniel Ndukwe, in Enugu.

Ndukwe said that the AIG also approved that Ebong, hitherto was attached to Special Protection Unit (SPU) Base 9 Umuahia while the incident took place, be prosecuted.

He said that the Enugu State Commissioner of Police appreciated residents’ understanding and patience while disciplinary trial and investigation lasted.

According to him, the commissioner also reassures the residents of the state’s commitment to always deal decisively with erring police officers.

“The approval is sequel to the Command’s conclusion of disciplinary trial and thorough investigation launched into the case of alleged shooting and killing of five persons and the injury of four others for no justifiable reasons, by Ebong.

“To this end, the commissioner has reiterated commitment to always deal decisively with police officers found culpable in disciplinary offences against extant codes of conduct, rules of engagement and standard operating procedures of the Nigeria Police.

“This is more if the issue concerns respect for fundamental human rights of citizens,” he said.

The police spokesman said that the commissioner assured the residents that such reports would be accorded the necessary confidentiality and action.

Ndukwe called on residents of the state to remain law abiding and promptly report erring police officers to the nearest police station.

He said that residents can call the command’s hotlines on: 08032003702, 08086671202, 08075390883 or 08098880172 and alternatively send e-mails to contact042ppro@gmail.com.

Categories
World News

Minister pledges support for Army War College to meet training demands

The Minister of Defence, Maj. Gen. Bashir Magashi (rtd), has pledged to continue to support the Army War College and other military training institutions to meet the training needs of the Armed Forces.

Magashi disclosed this on Friday in Abuja at the graduation ceremony of course 5/2021 participants of the Army War College, Nigeria.

The minister, represented by Mr Musa Istifanus, said the support was for the Armed Forces to develop the right skills and knowledge of its personnel to tackle the security threats confronting the country.

He said the continuity and sustainability of the trainings would develop the required capacity and skills in no distance time to overcome the present security challenges facing the country.

“War colleges the world over hold a pride of place as centre of excellence for military personnel leadership training.

“The Army War College, Nigeria, has remained focused and abiding in its mission of producing well-trained, educated and inspired operational level leaders for the Nigerian Army,” he said.

According to him, in four years of its existence, the Army War College, Nigeria, has been able to enthrone the culture of hard work, diligent and dedication to duty among participants.

He said tremendous progress had been made in the ongoing military operations in the North East and other parts of the country, particularly as the three services continue to operate more jointly.

The minister said the country is currently faced with numerous threats of armed banditry, vandalism, kidnapping, farmers/herders conflict, cultism, secessionist agitation and others.

According to him, the security challenges had impacted negatively on the collective well being of the country, thereby causing threats to national security.

“Personnel of the Armed Forces have been deployed across the 36 states of the country and FCT to aid civil authorities as enshrined in the constitution of the country.

“It is against this background that I must commend our troops who had exhibited serious determination to bring about peace and security across the country.

“Their loyalty, commitment and doggedness in the various theaters of operations deserve commendation and support from all Nigerians,” he added.

The minister congratulated the granduands and commended the management of the college for the successful completion of the course.

In his remark, Maj.-Gen. Solomon Udounwa, the Commandant, Army War College, said 63 graduating participants were drawn from the Armed Forces, security agencies and friendly countries.

He said the participants had in the last 35 weeks undergone professional and military education to prepare them for responsibility in current and future operational leadership positions.

Categories
World News

Applicant in court for alleged forgery, defamation of ex-minister Fani-Kayode

An applicant, Emmanuel Anakan on Friday appeared in a Karu Magistrates’ Court in Abuja for alleged forgery and defamation of a Former Minister of Aviation, Mr. Femi Fani-Kayode.

The police charged Anakan of Guzape Village, Asokoro Extension in Abuja with criminal conspiracy, forgery, using a forged document, participating in false evidence and defamation of character.

The Prosecution Counsel, Mr John Ijagbemi, told the court that sometime last March, the complainant, Fani-Kayode, reported that the defendant conspired with his estranged wife, Precious Chikwendu, Prisca Chikwendu and Anthonia Uchenna.

He said that the defendant also conspired with one Oko Emmanuel, Daniel Gona and Agbolo Edah, who are now at large to forge some court processes using them against him at the court.

The prosecutor said that the defendants used the processes as genuine and deposed to series of affidavits to false allegations against the complainant.
The prosecutor also alleged that Fani-Kayode also accused the defendants of assault, sexual harassment inhumane conducts and violence which had affected his reputation.

Ijagbemi said that during police investigation, it was discovered that the defendant on March 19, went to a newspaper house with Anthonia Uchenna, Osakwe Azubuike, Oko Emmanuel, Jonathan Gaya, Daniel Gona and Agbolo Edah to publish a false information, sponsored by Chikwendu and her sister Prisca.

The prosecutor alleged further that the offence contravened the provisions of Section 97, 364, 366, 158, and 392 of the Penal Code.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The Judge, Mrs Elizabeth Woni, admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N2 million with two sureties each in like sum.
Woni said that the two sureties must live within the court’s jurisdiction and deposit means of identification and two passports photographs each.

She said that the sureties address must be verified by the court’s registry and must deposit their utility bills and also be must be gainfully employed.

The judge said that the police should ensure that the defendants were all present at the next adjourned date because the court shall not condone piece-meal hearing. Woni adjourned the case until Jan. 21, 2022 for further mention and hearing.