Categories
Buy

Cleric In Police Net For Raping A Teenager In Warri, Delta State, Nigeria

A Warri based cleric has been arrested by men of the Nigeria Police, Warri Area Command in Delta, for allegedly raping a 19-year-old daughter of his church member in Warri.

This was disclosed by the Area Commander of the police force, Mohammed Garba, to newsmen  in Warri.

According to Garba, the suspect, identified as Bishop Elijah Orhonigbe, is the Founder/General Overseer, Victory Revival Fasting and Prayer Ministry in Warri.

He said that the suspect was nabbed on June 5 and that he had since been in custody at the “A Division”, Warri.

According to the commander, the cleric was apprehended, following a complaint by the mother of the victim.

Garba explained that the mother of the victim was a worshiper in the church where her daughter was molested

According to Garba , the mother of the victim  said that the pastor told her that he(Pastor) had a dream that death was hovering over their house and that for peace to reign, she should bring her daughter for prayers and deliverance.

“The woman took the lady to the church for the pastor to conduct the prayers and deliverance.

“I think what really happened was that the pastor drugged the lady and raped her. I personally took the lady to the hospital because she was in coma for two days.

“We had been looking for the pastor for the past two weeks. I later used my detectives to trace and got him arrested. I am charging him to court now.

“The man was nabbed on Friday and he has been in cell. Now, I am charging him to court,” Garba said.
The area commander alleged that there were evidences to prove that the pastor raped the girl.

“We have the pictures. I took the girl to the doctor and her private part was examined; so we have everything to charge the man to court,” Garba said.

— Eubaldus Enahoro . Editor Observer

Categories
Buy

Syria civil war: Germany holds unprecedented state torture trial

Two men accused of committing crimes against humanity for the Syrian state have gone on trial in Germany.

It is thought to be the first case worldwide examining the use of torture under President Bashar al-Assad’s rule.

The two – identified as Anwar R and Eyad A – allegedly worked as government intelligence officers.

Both fled Syria in the midst of its ongoing civil war and applied for asylum in Germany, where they were arrested in 2019.

Lawyers for the two men declined to talk to reporters before the case opened in Koblenz on Thursday. President Assad and his government have repeatedly denied the use of torture.

But a report by UN human rights experts in March 2018 said the government was detaining tens of thousands of people and subjecting them to “various forms of brutal torture”.

Outside the court a group of refugees and human rights activists welcomed the start of the trial. Among them was Syrian rights lawyer Anwar al-Bunni, who says he was himself arrested by Anwar R in Damascus.

Mr al-Bunni has said that after he arrived in Berlin as a refugee in 2014, he spotted Anwar R on the street, but did not immediately recognise him.

of committing crimes against humanity for the Syrian state have gone on trial in Germany.

It is thought to be the first case worldwide examining the use of torture under President Bashar al-Assad’s rule.

The two – identified as Anwar R and Eyad A – allegedly worked as government intelligence officers.

Both fled Syria in the midst of its ongoing civil war and applied for asylum in Germany, where they were arrested in 2019.

Lawyers for the two men declined to talk to reporters before the case opened in Koblenz on Thursday. President Assad and his government have repeatedly denied the use of torture.

But a report by UN human rights experts in March 2018 said the government was detaining tens of thousands of people and subjecting them to “various forms of brutal torture”.

Outside the court a group of refugees and human rights activists welcomed the start of the trial. Among them was Syrian rights lawyer Anwar al-Bunni, who says he was himself arrested by Anwar R in Damascus.

Mr al-Bunni has said that after he arrived in Berlin as a refugee in 2014, he spotted Anwar R on the street, but did not

“Today’s proceedings should serve as an important reminder that more is needed to ensure accountability for the conflict’s horrific atrocities,” said Balkees Jarrah from the NGO Human Rights Watch.

German authorities are investigating dozens of former Syrian officials under the principle of “universal jurisdiction” – which allows any country to prosecute those accused of war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide.

The German Association of Judges says cases are also being investigated in Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Mali and other countries. “War criminals get no shelter in Germany,” association head Sven Rebehn told the DPA news agency.

What are the men accused of?

The pair allegedly worked for the General Intelligence Directorate (GID), Syria’s most powerful civilian intelligence agency.

It has been accused of playing a key role in the violent suppression of peaceful protests against Bashar al-Assad’s rule that erupted in March 2011.

German prosecutors say that Anwar R, 57, was a high-ranking officer in charge of the GID’s Al-Khatib prison in the capital Damascus. He is suspected of being involved in the torture of at least 4,000 people in 2011-12, and has been charged with 58 counts of murder as well as rape and sexual assault.

Eyad A, 43, is said to have worked for Anwar R’s department and has been charged with torture in at least 30 cases.

Key evidence against the pair came from the tens of thousands of photos taken by a military defector known as Caesar, who fled Syria in 2013.

Anwar R and Eyad A reportedly entered Germany as asylum seekers in July 2014 and April 2018, respectively.

If convicted, the 57-year-old faces life in prison, while Eyad A could get up to 15 years behind bars.

What’s happening in Syria?

Protests erupted against the Assad regime in March 2011. Nine years later, Syria is still engaged in a savage civil war.

Idlib in the northwest is the last part of the country still held by opposition forces.

Russia and Turkey brokered a truce in March after weeks of intense fighting between Turkish-backed rebels and Syrian forces supported by Russia.

Syria officially reported its first case of coronaviruslast month. Idlib province has yet to announce any infections, but humanitarian groups are particularly concerned about the situation there.

— BBC News

 

Categories
Buy

Two daughters of archdeacon stabbed to death after birthday party in a park in London

 

Two daughters of archdeacon stabbed to death after birthday party in a park in London

Two daughters of an archdeacon were stabbed to death following a birthday party in a park, a post-mortem has revealed, as detectives launch an appeal for their killer.

Nicole Smallman, 27, and her half-sister Bibaa Henry, 46, were the daughters of Wilhelmina Smallman, the UK’s first female Church of England archdeacon from a minority ethnic background.

The bodies of the two women were discovered by police in Fryent Country Park, in Brent, northwest London, just after 1pm on Sunday.

Officers and the London Ambulance Service attended and they were pronounced dead at the scene. They had been reported missing the day before.

A post-mortem examination conducted on Tuesday, gave the cause of death for both women as stab wounds. Both women were stabbed multiple times.

The sisters were joined by around eight other people who had congregated in the park to celebrate Ms Henry’s birthday on Friday evening from around 7pm.

The Metropolitan Police said that when the group began to leave the party, by midnight the two sisters were still there, having stayed behind.

Ms Henry, of Brent, was described as a “sweet soul” and was senior social worker in children’s services at Buckinghamshire council. She had worked at the local authority since 2017.

Meanwhile her younger sister, a graduate from the University of Westminster who lived in Harrow, was described as “a joy to be around”.

Neighbours of the sisters’ parents yesterday said they wanted to respect the family’s privacy.

Chris and Wilhelmina Smallman, known as Mina, live in a £548,000 three-storey terraced Georgian townhouse in a secluded lawned square in the pretty port town of Ramsgate, Kent.

One neighbour who had heard about the tragedy said: “I don’t feel comfortable talking about it – if the family want to say something, they will.”

There have not yet been any arrests, but officers are following a number of active lines of enquiry.An extensive crime scene still remains in the park.

Detectives from the Specialist Crime Command (Homicide) are investigating, with the assistance of officers from the North West Command Unit.

The sisters’ relatives have been informed and their family are being supported by specially trained officers.

Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Simon Harding, said: “Both these women were stabbed multiple times and we are working tirelessly to find who is responsible.

“Their families have been devastated by their loss and they need and deserve answers. I need to hear from anyone who was in Fryent Country Park on the evening of Friday, 5 June, or early into Saturday, 6 June. The area the group were situated in is around a five minute walk from the Valley Drive entrance of the park, leading to a hill area.

“The area the group were in would be a well-known spot to sit and look over London. If you were in that area of the park from the evening of 5 June through to Sunday lunchtime, noticed the group, or saw anything or anyone suspicious, please contact us immediately.

“I also want to hear from people who regularly use the park, you may have seen a person acting suspiciously in the days leading up to the attack, you may not think your information is relevant, but it may be vital, so call and tell us what you know.

“You may also have stumbled upon items of property, but not realised the significance of them. If you did, you may well have information that could assist us hugely. No matter how insignificant it may seem, please contact us via the incident room on 020 8721 4205, or via 101.”

Anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to call police on 101 or tweet @MetCC quoting CAD 3160/7Jun.

Alternatively, you can provide information 100% anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

— The Telegraph