•‘No end in sight to Plateau attacks’
• CAN demands probe, sack of GOC
The Police Command in Zamfara State have confirmed that gunmen killed four persons and abducted 50 others in Goran Namaye town, Maradun Local Council of the state.
Spokesman to the command, Muhammad Shehu, said the attackers, who came in large number, invaded the town around midnight on Sunday, killed four persons and abducted 50 others.
He, however, said the police tactical team had been deployed to the area.
According to him, the Commissioner of Police, Yakubu Elkana, has ordered immediate search and rescue operation for the victims.
Shehu, a Superintendent of Police (SP), said the CP urged the residents to remain calm, as the command was working with other security agencies to maintain law and order in the area.
IN Plateau State, the Commissioner for Information and Communications, Dan Manjang, said deadly attacks are far from being over, as some groups are benefitting from them. A male nurse from Mararanbandere village in Jebbu Miango, Bassa Local Council, corroborated him.
He told The Guardian, yesterday, that what happened recently in Jebbu Miango of Bassa and Rukuba Road of Jos North Local Council, where more than 60 people were massacred, could have been taken as the end of it, with the presence of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH).
But he regretted that crisis merchants were on the ground to always stoke the fire.
He, however, said that government could only try to minimise it.
When the Commander, OPSH, Maj-Gen. Ibrahim Ali, toured of areas affected by the insurgency and distributed relief materials to them, a male nurse from Mararanbandere village in Jebbu Miango, one of the affected villages, told The Guardian that there’s no end in sight to the attacks was not in sight.
HOWEVER, the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has called on the authorities to investigate alleged complicity by the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 3rd Amoured Division, Nigeria Army, Maj-Gen. Ibrahim Ali, in the Bassa attacks in which over 70 persons were reportedly killed and more than 400 houses razed.
At a press conference in Jos, yesterday, the Chairman of TEKAN/ECWA bloc of CAN, Plateau chapter, Rev. Moses Ebuga, asked the Army to relieve the GOC, who also doubles as the Commander of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), of his positions for failing to live up to expectation in the discharge of his duties.
He said: “The GOC, who doubles as the Commander, OPSH, has not lived up to expectation. The military barracks situated in the same Bassa and within a few kilometres radius was under attack for hours and days without any response and protection from the army.”
When contacted, the Military Information Officer of OPSH, Maj. Ishaku Takwa, said he would get back to The Guardian on the matter.