Donald Trump has denied being briefed by US intelligence officials on Russia‘s plan to secretly offer bounties to Taliban-linked militants to kill American troops in Afghanistan, as has been reported by US media.
The US president said in a Twitter post on Sunday night the claims were not reported to him as they were not considered “credible”, and accused the media of fake news.
The Trump administration was due to inform Congress on the matter on Monday, amid concerns that the president had been made aware about the Taliban deal but had not acted on it.
Both The New York Times and The Associated Press reported that US intelligence personnel told the president about Russia’s actions in Afghanistan some months ago.
Senior Trump administration personnel and national security council members were also said to have discussed the threat for some months, said The Times.
— Independent (see full story)