A new NHS coronavirus contact-tracing app should be in place by the end of the month, a minister has said.
Business minister Nadhim Zahawi said the app – which was trialled in the Isle of Wight – will “be running as soon as we think it is robust”.
Last week new test and trace systems were launched in England and Scotland – but without the app due to delays.
The Guardian reported a senior NHS boss said the system would be imperfect at first but “world-class” by the autumn.
The paper said the chief operating officer of the test and trace scheme said the scheme should be fully working by September or October.
The NHS app – which will automatically alert people – began being trialled on the Isle of Wight in early May. The government said then it hoped it would be launched nationwide by the middle of May.
The NHS app was originally planned to be part of last week’s launch but was delayed because more trials were needed.
The government said then it hoped to have that system up-and-running in England “in the coming weeks”.
Speaking on the BBC’s Question Time on Thursday, Mr Zahawi said: “The app, we are working flat out. We want to make sure it actually does everything it needs to do and will be place in this month.
“I can’t give you an exact date, it would be wrong for me to do so.”
— BBC News